Womens wrestling team takes the mats

192
0

Delta has a new team on campus. Women’s wrestling is in its first season at Delta. 

Recruiting for a new team was done in person and through flyers posted on campus. Work to create a women’s team has been going on for years and has finally come to fruition. 

“So, this has been in the works at the JC level for probably five years. And we had talked in the past about possibly doing a club team, which some schools are still doing right now because it hasn’t moved forward, but women’s wrestling is the largest and quickest growing sport in the United States right now, and so we knew that there was a need that we had to fill with the JC women’s program,” said Head Coach Michael Sandler, who has been coaching the men’s team since 2003. 

Currently only five women are competing, with one athlete dividing time between wrestling and track. Sandler is working to recruit new athletes in order to grow the team next season.

“We don’t even feel the full team right now. The girls I have are extremely talented. But my goal is to have 20 plus girls in the room next year,” said Sandler. 

Despite the small roster, the team is showing promise. At its first open tournament of the season, the team finished 8th out of 19 teams. Individually, freshman Valentia Ortega finished in the top eight, freshman Samira Mason took 3rd place and freshman Isabel Zepeda took 2nd. 

Sandler expects the team to continue its success. 

“You know, I think for sure all four of my girls could be state placers. They’ll be the first state placers ever in the history of Delta College for women. I think a couple of them, probably, we have a good shot at being in the finals,” said Sandler. 

Tournament success is motivating, but the love for the sport can be even more important. 

“I just expect us to have fun, like when we lose. We’re there to wrestle, having fun, not worrying about … whether we place at state or placing at tournaments,” said freshman Perla Camacho. 

Samira Mason is excited for the opportunity to wrestle and to be the first in a program expected to grow in the coming years. 

“I feel really honored to be like the first, what is it, like pioneer I guess, to be like the start of the program. It’s really cool. I love wrestling. It is like my favorite thing. It makes me so happy. So, I’m just so happy to be here. I’m glad that I can make like a name for this place,” said Mason.

Camacho and Mason hope to use this season to improve and further explore technique. They expect to take what they learn this season to improve their own performance, as well as be there for the new women expected to join the team next season. 

Delta’s next tournament will be at Sacramento City College on Feb. 29.