Women’s basketball dominated Diablo Valley

130
0

The Mustangs beat Diablo Valley with a final score of 86-47 on Feb. 13. 

Delta started strong with a 9-0 lead. With two minutes left to go in the first quarter, the Mustangs took a 20-point lead 23-3.

The Mustangs dominated the first quarter and continued with a 30-6 lead at the start of the second quarter.

Coach Gina Johnson said it felt good to get a blowout win after winning a close game against Modesto. 

“I’m proud of our girls. We’ve been working hard defensively and today offensively we were able to work against a zone, which is good to work on something different,” Johnson said. “We are excited that there’s only three games left and we’re only one game up in the (sic) first so we got three really important games after that”.”

At halftime, the Mustangs went into the locker room with a 29-point lead 51-22. 

In the second half, it went back and forth between Diablo and Delta, and by the end of the third quarter, Delta held out and led 67-37 against Diablo. 

Johnson said this game helped the Mustangs on the defensive end because as a team they had 17 steals and three blocks. 

Delta shot the ball well from three-point range, shooting 38 percent and making 12 threes to create a gap on the scoreboard. 

Freshman guard number 2 Senia Moore came off the bench, led the team in three-pointers made and led the Mustangs in scoring with 17 points. 

Moore said it was a great team win and it was a relief to have a blowout win. 

“Feels good my teammates found me with open shots. It was a great team win,” Moore said. “It was a relief we have a lot of close games so it was nice to play and just have fun”. 

In the fourth quarter, the Mustangs continued to dominate. 

With 2:30 left in the game, Delta was up by 41 points 84-43 but the game ended with the final 86-47. 

The win moved Delta to 21-4 with three games left. As of Feb. 20 the Mustangs came in first place in the conference and plan to dominate the playoffs. 

Round 1 of the playoffs will be on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. but no location has been released yet.