Women’s basketball advances to next playoff round

161
0

Delta College’s women’s basketball advances to the next round of playoffs after their 61-41 win against San Mateo on March 2. 

Delta was seeded No. 2 and its opponents was seeded No. 15. The San Mateo Bulldogs were the winners of round one against Solano who were seeded No. 18.

Delta’s Senia Moore contributed 19 points making her the top scorer of the night in addition to collecting five steals. Serenity Santos also had a good night, carried 13 rebounds and led in assists. 

“I’ve been coaching for Delta for 28 years and this group is very locked in as a unit,” said Head Coach Gina Johnson. 

The Mustangs ended the first quarter with the Bulldogs following close on their tracks, Mustangs 15-9. The second quarter marked the start of the team’s lead as Moore made a three pointer with 40 seconds left on the clock, sending Delta into halftime with a score of 31-18. Moore went into the third making multiple points for Delta. A foul was called on Maya Chelini that led to the booing of the referees as it appeared to be a clean block. The third quarter ended with the Mustangs up 45-28. 

“I love my teammates and I’m proud of how far we have gone as a team. I don’t think that would be possible if we didn’t have each other’s back so it makes me feel proud to be on a team like that,” said Kiara Council. 

Within the first two and a half minutes of the fourth quarter, Kathreen Noa scored four points for the Mustangs. While in possession of the ball, Council lost a shoe resulting in a turnover to San Mateo. Council got back up and rushed to the other side of the court to play defense. San Mateo’s Deanna Ayao had the ball when she tripped over Anyce Jefferson as Council attempted to steal the ball back. As Council made her way back to her shoe, Ayao rushed towards Council and was immediately redirected by players from both teams. 

“Honestly when I lost my shoe that wasn’t my concern. I just knew I had to get back on D and get the ball back,” said Council.

Ayao was given a technical foul and benched for the remainder of the game. The game ended 61-41 in the Mustang’s favor. 

“My heart is full that she kept playing after she lost her shoe. She is the only player I’ve seen play the last twenty seconds,” said Johnson with reference to Council. 

In the third round of playoffs Delta will be going against College of the Sequoias, which is seeded No. 7 on March 9 at 7 p.m. The Sequoias advanced to the third round of playoffs after their close win against Santa Rosa who are seeded No. 10, 68-65. 

“Sequoias is a very good team, we’re playing well, the girls are up for the challenge, we have things to improve for Saturday, we’ll work on that” and “I’m excited to move forward and be successful,” said Johnson.