A joy with koi: Paint and sip loses the booze

217
0

The Office of Student Activities in partnership with the Art Club held a “Paint & Sip” on March 19 in Upper Danner.

The event had themed non-alcoholic mocktails, canvases to paint, and snacks to enjoy. Danner quickly filled up, as more than 100 participants pre-registered for the event. 

Available drinks and snacks were quickly grabbed as the students took the tables that were scattered with specific colored acrylic paint and brushes, as it was yet to be revealed what participants were painting. 

“I wanted to come because it was something new … it was fun … I’m excited to paint, and have a good time and good conversation with my best friend,” said student Sashimi Rigamoto.

Once the attendees were seated, Art Club Volunteer and Presenter Angel Mercado unveiled the artistic Koi fish the attendees would attempt to paint.

Students awaiting for Paint Sip event to start held by The Office of Student Activities in partnership with the Art Club.

Art Club President Sophia Torrice said koi fish were picked as the centerpiece because the student body easily recognized the fish.

“We love koi fish here! We think Koi fish should be the mascot,” said Sophia Torrice. “We have the pond here and a lot of Delta students, you know, go and sit by the pond.”

As students sat and drank mocktails, Mercado began the demonstration by starting with the background for the fish, followed by an outline of the koi fish, then with the different colors of the fish and finally the small details were introduced. 

Student Emelia Leang said  that her interest in coming was because she wants, “to use all the Delta resources and cherish it while I can, while I’m still here. And it’s an experience with my friend.”

The Art Club is hoping to do more Paint and Sip events with the help of ASDC for students to help relax during the semester after seeing the impressive turnout.

“We would love to do more in the future. There are so many different subjects we could choose or we can do a free-for-all…I’m very happy…we weren’t expecting this. We’re a small club, but with the reach that ASDC has given us I think this is a great turnout, this is great for us,” said Torrice.

THEMED MOCKTAILS

Missed the Paint and Sip, but want to try a mocktail? Here are the ingredients to make one on your own at home.

Delta Daiquiri: Lime juice, mango syrup and ginger ale

Fierce Fusion: Redbull, mixed berry juice, blackberry syrup and cherry syrup

Mustang Mimosa: Orange juice, Topo Chico, pineapple juice and mango syrup

Shima Temple: Sprite or other lemon-lime soda, cherry syrup and maraschino cherries

Mountain House Mule: Ginger ale, lime juice and pomegranate syrup