Baseball shuts out Santa Rosa 2-0

106
0

On Friday, April 5, Delta College’s baseball team held Santa Rosa to 0 runs and 1 hit at the University of Pacific, where Delta plays home games due to issues with the athletic fields. 

With the win, Delta improved to 22-12 which is 3rd place in the Big 8 Conference. 

The game was originally scheduled for Thursday, April 4, but it was moved to Friday due to rain. 

Sophomore Right-handed pitcher #24 Tyson Pereira threw a complete game, only gave up one hit, faced 32 batters, and struck out 8 batters. 

“It was good to get our guys to tie up the series and I just gotta hope we come out here and do the same thing tomorrow,” Pereira said after the game. “I think we’re trending in the right direction we got two tough opponents coming up so if we keep playing how we’re doing we will be fine”

It took Santa Rosa five innings to finally get a hit off Pereira. 

People in the crowd gave Pereira a standing ovation for the performance on the mound. Pereira improved to 3-2 for the season. 

It was a pitching battle for the first six innings, the bats for Delta started slow but began to pick up momentum at the end of the game. 

In the 6th inning, Delta scored its first run. 

Sophomore second baseman #35 Drew Giannini got the offense going by getting a double. 

Then sophomore first baseman #99 Blaine French hit a single and knocked in the first run for Delta. 

In the 7th, third baseman #5 Mateo Garcia started out the inning with a single. After being hit by a pitch and a sacrifice, Garcia ended up on third base with one out. Garcia was thrown out at home plate after a groundout at Delta ended up scoreless in the 7th. 

The 8th inning was Delta’s last because it was the home team leading the game. Giannini led the inning off with one of his two doubles and ended up scoring. Left Fielder #27 Dominic Rodriguez singled and Giannini scored at home plate. 

“Let’s go!” Giannini said after he scored his second run attempting to get his team pumped up to win the game.

Giannini went 3 for 4, hit two doubles, and scored Delta’s two runs and French went 1 for 4 with that RBI and made some impressive catches at first base. 

Giannini said it felt nice to lift the team up when needed. 

“It felt good producing for the team feels really good and helping the team any way I can to win feels great”, Giannini said. “This is a big series for us the outcome is very important because this can secure a high seed or a low seed in playoffs so if we can win this series it will be good for the rest of the season and set us up good in the conference.”

Delta won the series 2-1 against Santa Rosa. 

Santa Rosa took the first game but Delta won this game on April 5 and won the following day, beating Santa Rosa 7-5 in extra innings.