Active Minds in conjunction with other Delta College learning communities, hosted its “Active Minds Brunch Bonanza” on April 11 in Danner Hall to celebrate wellness with a goal to serve up to 200 students. 

Students lined up while faculty who participated in the event served them a various selection of breakfast burritos, pastries, fruit and other refreshments. 

“240 burritos were packaged up and they are all gone,” said Adriana Brogger, Digital Media professor and Active Minds co-advisor. “We took 170 tickets, but there were other folks who came in and they got fed.” 

Although the purpose of this event was to give students the chance to relax and enjoy a meal, it also gave participants an opportunity to enjoy their peers, meet new people and have meaningful conversations. 

“Active Minds is very important to have on campus just for a resource for the students like it gives you a good outlet to be with community of like-minded individuals,” said Lishe’a Wilkerson, Digital Media major and a member of Active Minds who attended the brunch.

Active Minds is a non-profit organization that focuses on action and student advocacy in mental health, and is powered by more than 600 chapters located at high schools and colleges nationwide, according to the organization’s website. 

“Here at San Joaquin Delta College, we have had an active Active Minds chapter since 2018 and I’ve been a co-advisor since that time,” said Brogger. 

The mission of the club is destigmatizing conversations about and actions toward better mental health.

“The whole point with normalizing these conversations is that we want students to not feel like they’re going through it alone because once we feel like we’re the only ones going through a certain situation, we put ourselves at risk for isolation and some serious depressive episodes that can have an impact on not just our academic areas, but everything else that we have going on,” said Brogger. 

Delta College provides Student Health and Wellness Resources such as non-emergency medical and behavioral healthcare at the Delta Health Center, counseling services, and virtual mental health support. 

This includes Tbh, a free online mental health service that provides therapy, coaching and support to students through the MyDelta Dashboard.

“With Tbh, with Active Minds, with our counseling department, with Basic Needs, with our laundry service, through our partnerships with community based organizations–we want students to feel supported and that they’re not alone,” said Brogger.

For more information about resources available to students on campus and online, visit deltacollege.edu, click on Student Life, then Health & Wellness then Student Health and Wellness Resources.