Men’s soccer has tough start in Big 8 Conference with two tie games

1054
0
Delta midfielder Macario Bermundez seeks to recover the ball as Modesto midfielder Alejandro Garcia gets ready to pass it during the Delta vs Modesto game at Delta College on Oct. 1, 2021. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

Delta took on Big 8 Conference rival Modesto Junior College on Oct. 1, the end result was a 1-1 tie. 

Coming off another draw vs Fresno on Sept. 28, the Mustangs (3-5-4) started off slow in the first half according to Delta Head Coach Josh Bradley. “Speed of play was slow today and I think we were tired a little bit from the long road trip to Fresno on Tuesday (Sept.28) but our speed of play was slow, we’ve could have started off quicker, I also think our movement off the ball could have been more dynamic, a little static in the pockets,” said Bradley.

Bradley said the team can build from this game by “going with the same type of routines that we have been doing and to progress and get better as the season weighs on.”

The scoring started on behalf of Modesto’s Brandon Avila who had a one-on-one chance with Delta Goalkeeper Josh Quigely. Avila slotted it home to make it 1-0 in the first half. 

In the second half Delta right back (defender), Macario Bermundez produced a cross to midfielder Eric Esparza who headed it in the back of the net to make it 1-1 with 20 minutes left in the game. 

Esparza reflected on his game saying he believes he still can improve as an individual by “playing faster with the ball and making sure to look over my shoulders.” 

Midfielder Pedro Santana stood out in this game by manufacturing turnovers and creating chances for the Mustangs. “I feel like I was a bit lost (in the) first half, but a different formation(in the) second half I found my spot with the team and tried to help out my team as much as I could,” said Santana when asked about his self-evaluation of the game. 

Nearing the end of the game, Delta was awarded a penalty that midfielder Ignacio Flores shot too high and missed, ending the game 1-1.  

Following the tie game against Modesto, Delta came away with the same result in the team’s away game against American River College on Oct. 5. Forward Jose Avalos netted the Mustangs’ only goal in the first half during their first visiting conference matchup.

The Mustangs have scored 18 goals and have conceded 25 goals in 12 overall games played this season. Delta’s next game will be at home against Santa Rosa at 4 p.m. on Oct. 8.