Star Mustangs Payne and Jones forge friendship through basketball at Delta

2038
0

Delta’s women’s basketball team had a season to remember after placing runner-up at the CCCAA State Championship tournament, but sophomores Donja Payne and Alicia Jones will remember a lot more than just coming close to conquering a state title with the Mustangs.

Jones and Payne were arguably the Mustangs’ top two players this season.

Payne was the team’s top scorer, netting an average 14.7 points per game and finished in the Big 8 as the conference’s leader in rebounds (11.3 per game) and field goal percentage (57.8).

Jones followed Payne in scoring, averaging 14.2 points per game and was the only one to start in all of Delta’s games.

Both players were also named to the CCCAA’s All-State team, putting them among the best players in California.

Despite their accomplishments together on the court, however, the most valuable thing these two will take away from their experience at Delta is the friendship they’ve developed.

“It is very special, now it’s like a full circle moment. We have played against each other since freshmen in high school and played on an all-star team together. Then we go to the same college together and end up roommates. It’s crazy to think how everything worked out and came together,” said Jones.

Throughout their time at Delta, it’s hard not to see them separated from each other.

“We are usually really goofy and love finding new things to watch on the fire stick. We get along very well and are able to get over disagreements. We pretty much do everything together,” said Payne.

Despite having been opponents in high school — Jones playing for Beyer High and Payne for East Union — it wasn’t until they got to Delta that they truly started getting to know each other.

“Me and Donja first got to know each other through both having to apply for work study. We had to do a few things off campus to get approved, so during that time we got to hang out a little more and our friendship developed from there,” said Jones.

Whether or not Jones is playing basketball, she is always seen as a team player who wants to succeed together.

“Alicia is reliable both on and off the court, whether it has to do with scoring or helping others. When she puts her mind to something she will accomplish it. She puts others’ needs before her own because she’s very loving and caring. She also has great listening skills with great advice to give,” said Payne.

Jones perceives Payne as approachable when meeting new people and a great new friend anyone could make.

“I would describe Donja as genuine and welcoming, she is very sincere and honest. You can talk to her about anything and she’s super friendly and can get along with anyone,” said Jones.

There is a possibility this duo can continue beyond Delta.

In February, Payne and Jones visited Cal Poly Pomona together with the purpose of checking out the school as a potential institution for transfer.

Jones later decided to commit earlier this month, but Payne is still undecided about where she will go this fall.

While Jones would enjoy continuing to play alongside Payne, she isn’t fond about the idea of having her as an opponent once more.

“Of course it would be great if Donja decided to commit to Cal Poly. I think that would be another fun ride, and we can do a lot of good together at this next level as we continue to improve our game,” said Jones. “But I would also understand her decision to play somewhere else, which would also be fun because we have done it before and we are super competitive against each other.”