Students name wants for next school year

1868
0
A students plays a game in Danner Hall. Photo by Christina Goodman

Change is coming  to Delta College for the 2022-2023 school year as we move from lockdown due to Covid-19 to being back on campus more substantially.  

Something you may notice is an increase in  hand sanitizers in each class, wipes to wipe off the desk, and also sanitizing spray and paper towels. 

Is this enough for you? Do you feel safe with this as their only cautions for Covid? What do you want to change or improve for Delta? 

I asked that question  in a popular Delta College Facebook group that includes more than 7,000 students asking what students want to see in the coming school year. 

“The library being open more; danner hall is too loud and more tutoring for the harder classes like the sciences,” Kadija Bangura commented. 

Some people have to drop classes for certain reasons that hurt their grade-point average (GPA)  and have to take the L. During the pandemic Delta gave the option of having an EW (Excused Withdrawal), which didn’t impact GPA 

“To give us the EW for the semesters within the lockdown,” was a response from Jazmin Reyes.” 

Jasmyne Villasenor Gonzalez, another student who agreed with the EW added more recommendation:  “No vaccine requirement and be able to do the EW still.”

Some might feel that we should keep the masks on and to stay six-feet apart from people, and some on the other hand want to stop wearing masks at Delta.

Some still want to keep Delta closed like Catherine Mellor: “no masks, no vaccine requirements, faculty on campus and finals on campus only.” 

Some might see this as a setback but to each its own. 

While the intention of the question on Facebook was to gauge student wants and needs as Delta College anticipates a greater return to campus, Delta College’s Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler chimed in too.

“Thank you so much for asking this question,” said Breitler. “Love hearing this from everyone on what we can do better. I will pass these ideas on.” 

I’m so thankful that he saw the post on Facebook and now our voices will be heard and hopefully we will see the change for the following school year.