Three candidates interview for top Instruction job

1161
0

A Sept. 6 forum featured three finalists in the college’s months-long search for Dr. Lisa Aguilera Lawrenson’s replacement as vice president of instruction.

The position was left vacant when Lawrenson was appointed acting superintendent/president following Dr. Omid Pourzanjani’s resignation from the office. Lawrenson has since been hired as Delta College’s 12th superintendent/president. 

Dr. Charles "Kale" Branden, left, Sam Agdasi, center, and Dr. Rojelio Vasquez took part in forums as part ofDelta's search for a new permanent Vice President of Instruction.
Dr. Charles “Kale” Branden, left, Sam Agdasi, center, and Dr. Rojelio Vasquez took part in forums as part of Delta’s search for a new permanent Vice President of Instruction.

In the forum, the three candidates answered a series of questions collected from students and the Delta community at large. Topics ranged from LGBTQ inclusivity on campus to the candidates’ views on online and distance learning. 

The first candidate featured was Dr. Charles “Kale” Braden, current assistant vice president of Instruction and Enrollment Management at American River College. Dr. Braden’s educational career began as a theater professor at Cosumnes River College, where he taught for 17 years. 

Braden then went on to hold various administrative positions in the Department of Arts at American River College. Braden was eventually selected as Dean of Fine and Applied Arts, where he specialized in allocating the art department’s multi-million dollar budget. 

“We want you to be here, and we are glad that you are here,” said Braden when asked about how he would promote Delta as a safe and inclusive environment for LGBTQ students. 

In his closing remarks, Braden admitted to having joined every single public board meeting since March of this year in preparation for the interview process. 

“I could fit here,” said Braden. “This feels right.”

Next to be featured was Sam Agdasi, current Dean of Technology and Health Division at Mt. San Antonio College in Los Angeles County. Agdasi’s academic and administrative career saw him design the entire curriculum for the nanotechnology program at Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana, as well as help establish a state-of-the-art nanotechnology lab there.

When asked if he viewed the position as a long-term commitment or a stepping-stone in his career, Agdasi stressed that his vision to turn Delta College into “a beacon of instructional excellence” cannot be realized overnight. 

“I am completely committed to this job and making sure that the goals that we have and set to get there will be accomplished,” he said. “I believe that Delta College and the city of Stockton are great places to be at. I know about the challenges, however, I think there are great opportunities.”

The final contender for the VPI position is Dr. Rojelio Vasquez, a Fresno native with public and private sector experience in business management. 

Vasquez’s qualifications include a Doctorate of Management in Community College Policy, as well as a Master in Business Administration. His academic leadership career saw him as an Associate Dean at Fresno Pacific University, and then as a Dean of Business at Fresno City Community College. 

“I’m very selective in terms of what I want to do and who I want to work for,” said Vasquez during his opening remarks. “Delta College is one that came up to the top.”

When asked about how he would support career technical education courses at Delta College, Vasquez stated that his private sector experience has given him “a better understanding of how to connect the dots” between industry and the academic sector.

There is no timeline yet for the rest of the nomination process, but the college is expected to name the new VPI within the coming weeks.